Monday, February 6, 2017

Week 12 in Japan: Japanese Fiesta


We received out transfer emails this week, and it turned out to be a total curveball. Everyone was guessing I would stay and Elder Sakae would be transferred, but it turned out to be the other way around. I have been assigned to Fujisawa, which sounds sweet cause we're not too far away from the beach and spring is starting up. My new companion is Elder Poff. Like Elder Sakae, he's a young missionary who's just a couple transfers ahead of me. I don't know too much about him except that he's American (weird), and super 楽観的 [optimistic]. Sounds good to me!


My new area is apparently pretty flat which will be weird coming from the hills of Machida. That kind of upsets me cause, I'm gonna be honest, my legs have been getting jacked. But I won't be riding my bike for the next week or so anyway, so it's all good. I wrecked my bike. The front wheel is bent so I've gotta buy a new one which will take about 10 days to get in. No worries though, I’m physically fine, but my ego is a bit shot cause I ate pavement in front of a group of kids coming home from school... All the little Japanese children laughed at me...   

Saturday night we had a taco party and invited a bunch of people. A couple of our investigators came out and we just partied for the night. Also it turns out my Mexican friend Elder Magaña has no idea how to make tortillas. I'm beginning to question the authenticity of his ethnicity. But all jokes aside it was a great night, Elder Sakae and I had a ping-pong tournament with everyone, and that got absolutely wild. These people take their ping-pong seriously.   

Sunday was a super sad day, I had to say goodbye to all the amazing people of the ward. But the hardest goodbye was our investigator Matsuda-San. He's such a kind soul, I'm gonna miss him like crazy. But I know I'm needed elsewhere and that's okay, Elder Sakae will take care of him.

All I know is by this coming Thursday I'll be in a different place and sleeping in a different bed. But the work doesn’t change and the laughter never ends. It's so great coming home everyday and being able to tell myself, "Today was a good day." I'm not saying it’s not stressful, or that I don't ever get discouraged. But I am saying that the down moments are the best moments. They humble you, they make you grow. If something starts to suck, get excited. Get freakin pumped. By the end you'll have learned something new, something about yourself that you never knew before, and I promise you’ll be stronger because of it. Sorry for how cheesy that was but its true.    Make it easier on yourself and others, serve one another, love one another, and smile while doing it. Life is meant to be enjoyed, not just endured. 
 
Sincerely, 
Elder Cuff   


I've got pictures this week! There are some blooming flowers, a steak dinner, the hills of Machida, and the homies at the taco party.






No comments:

Post a Comment