Sunday, October 1, 2017

Sweatin' With the Oldies: Week 46 in Japan

And it's been another wacky and wild week in Japan. 

We had family home evening with a member of the bishopric. He's got a young family who are an absolute blast. Also he rides a bike everywhere and loves trail running. I've never seen a more amazing set of calves. I hope one day my calves can grow up to be just like his. 

The weather is absolutely incredible right now; I love the change of seasons, especially fall. 

So one thing about the area I'm in, there's an abundance of the elderly. Some aren't the most sane of people so it's provided for some funny and sometimes slightly chaotic experiences. There's a service we do in a neighborhood where there's a lot of elderly called Bike Taxi, where we give free rides to the elderly from the bus stop/market to their apartment. The people who run the service also run a small cafe where some elderly people hang out. One man that is usually there when we go there is usually drunk, despite the fact that it's 11:00 in the morning. Usually he likes to rant to me about American politics (for some reason old people in Japan really pay attention to American politics). On a couple occasions he's ranted about the atomic bomb and how that apparently Japan hasn't forgiven America. Then he usually calls me a devil or an evil spirit because I'm American. Well we had a miracle this week, he wasn't drunk and finally met the sober version of this man. He walked up to me, shook my hand, and then he called me a hard worker and that he's really thankful for the bike service we do! I'm not sure how aware he is of his past behavior but hey, talk about tender mercies people! 

One thing I've come to love about being a missionary is how much I learn on a pretty much daily basis. Sure there have been some pretty big events on my mission that have caused some form of change, but I think my favorite parts are the little things. 

Just those details that make major differences in each day. 

Alma 37:6
"Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise."

Stay Sweet,
Elder Cuff

Hiking Mt. Takao

Zone Conference




No comments:

Post a Comment